My Favorite Small Businesses
Since I started my handmade soap business, I have been hyperaware of the phrase "shop small." Admittedly, I never really focused on this phrase prior to COVID because buying from Amazon was and is just soooooo easy. (I still shop on Amazon for limited purposes, like 30lbs of dog food, but I digress).
Now I try to spend more of my time and energy finding and supporting small businesses, and I wanted to share some of my favorite finds with you here! Each of these small businesses are owned by lovely people, some who I know in real life, and some who I have met and interacted with online.
For those who have products to sell, they have online presences so no matter where you are in the U.S., if you see something you love, you can surely get your hands on something. For those that have services (i.e., massage, dog walking, etc), I list in bold text their location so you know whether or not their amazing services are within your geographic reach.
The whole point of this blog post is to share the love! This list is also evolving and will be added to periodically.
- Emily Romero Marbling: The marbling process involves floating pigments, on a gel-like water surface and moving the paints with the use of a stylus and other tools to create a unique design that is then lifted onto a alum-treated paper that has been laid on the surface.
- Mackie: My friend Sarah began MACKIE as her creative outlet during the COVID-19 quarantine and has magically blossomed into a wonderful new business venture. She has so much fun exploring new techniques and designs and is thrilled that her pieces have bring joy to others. Each piece is handmade in Jacksonville, FL and since she don't like making the same thing over and over, most of her pieces are one of a kind or one of a very few number made.
- Petite Soeur DC: Petite Soeur is a specialty chocolate and confection company based in DC that specializes in chocolate creations, classic confections, and entremets cakes. Their creations are rooted in French technique but inspire by American traditions.
- Truffles by Tiffany: Tiffany is a graduate from Paul Smiths' College, located in the Adirondack mountains, of upstate New York. Tiffany graduated as the first class ever to receive a Bachelors of Science degree in Baking Arts Service Management along with Hotel, Restaurant Management. Chocolate is an art form that I take much pride into, to create the perfect chocolate and put a smile on your face. Order now to have one of a kind custom chocolates for your next special event!
- Cedar Hill Homestead: Victoria is a tried and true community herbalist whose entire business has been built by making remedies for any and everyone that comes to her in need. Her passion lies in seasonal & bioregional medicine, with the belief that what you need is already out there waiting when you need it. She works with native plants and invasive species alike, working to educate on the importance of knowing the difference and how to work with both. Victoria works with her local parks department to glean invasive plants, making way for the natives to flourish as well as teaching free community plant walks.
- Design by Stasia: Design by Stasia was started in the spring of 2020 by graphic designer Stasia Johnson. This is when Stasia found her passion to create fun products that people could enjoy. Stasia started this discovery upon not wanting to purchase overpriced, boring candles. She made her own candles and designed fun and unique labels for them. When the candles started receiving substantial positive feedback, Stasia decided to sell them and make even more candles. This is when Design by Stasia was formed and Stasia turned her focus onto creating exciting content people could enjoy. Design by Stasia offers a variety of products from home goods, paper goods, accessories, apparel, and a pinch of pop culture. Design by Stasia is currently run and operated by Stasia herself, with help from her teammate and husband kody.
- Soy Society: Jasmine began her hand-poured candle collection to allow her peace through working with her hands. Creating aromatherapy candles grew her knowledge of essential oils, not only in her yoga practice but also their benefits in everyday home-life. Slowing down to hand make each candle keeps her grounded in my work and journey of mindfulness and wellness.
- Diggs Body Works (SAN DIEGO, CA): Niki is a Certified Athletic Trainer, Licensed Massage Therapist, Registered Yoga Instructor, has a Bachelors in Kinesiology, and Masters Degree in Sports Management. Based out of San Diego California, she has ten years experience as a Certified Athletic Trainer, three years of previous internship experience, and bring seven years of massage to all of the work she does.
Wood Working and Furniture:
- Godet Woodworking: Adam lives in Washington, DC and designs and builds custom hardwood furniture. He also builds lots of small functional items, such as cutting boards, coasters, other sundries. He's been interested in woodworking since he was a kid watching The New Yankee Workshop with his dad.
Water Color Art and Calligraphy:
- Painted Palettes: Samantha spends her time working live events, teaching hand lettering workshops, providing gorgeous lettering for her clients' events, and painting commissioned watercolor illustrations. Formerly a first grade teacher, Samantha naturally gravitates towards making meaningful connections with her clients through her workshops and artwork. She enjoys making art accessible and helping people realize their own creativity!